This is an English language lesson to practice using the Impersonal Passive and Active
There are thirty sentences to practice. The sentences are paired together (15 pairs) so that the first sentence is passive and the sentence which follows it is active.
Practice writing and speaking the following sentences to identify impersonal passive more clearly.
The three factors which determine impersonal passive are knowledge of a fact, belief about something and speculation about something.
- It is known that the man is very rich (passive)
- The man is known to be very rich (active)
- It is believed by police that that burglar entered the house through an open window
- Police believe that the burglar entered the house through an open window
- It is said that English is easier to learn and speak than Chinese
- People say that English is easier to learn and speak than Chinese
- It is thought that aliens from outer space may have visited earth
- Scientists think that aliens from outer space may have visited earth
- It is expected that the match will be played next week
- The match is expected to be played next week
- It is expected that the victim will recover from her injuries
- The victim is expected to recover from her injuries
- It is considered unlucky to wash clothes on a Friday
- Old folk say that washing clothes on a Friday is considered unlucky
- It was reported on the news that a plane had crashed into the mountain
- The news channel reported that a plane had crashed into a mountain
- It is said that she knows more than she thinks
- She is said to know more than she thinks
- It is estimated that there are more than six and a half billion people living on earth
- Experts estimate that there are more than six and a half billion people living on earth
- It is understood that science plays a key part in advancement of mankind
- We all understand that science plays a key part in advancement of mankind
- It is known that the earth is round and not flat
- Humans know that the earth is round and not flat
- It is often said that you should not count your chickens before they are hatched
- Old custom says that you should not count your chickens before they are hatched
- The pursuit of happiness is regarded as absolute
- Humanity regards the pursuit of happiness as absolute
- It is promised by the local council that there will be no further redevelopment
- The local government promise that there will be no further redevelopment
Sentences are expanded with adverbs or cohesive device expression Here are some examples:
It is widely known that …
It is generally believed that …..
It is often assumed that ……..
It is usually thought that ……
According to tradition, it is said that ….. (according to is a cohesive device)
Develop your confidence and awareness of the structure of the sentences.
Good luck with your English language practice.