This is an English language lesson aimed at elementary and junior high school students who are learning English as a second language.
In this lesson, we will practice speaking, writing and reading sentences using the past continUous tense.’.
The main questions are based on using the DO verb and using the format of:
I was doing (for past continious) or I did (past simple)
What happened? What was he doing? What did he do?
Notice that ‘when’ ‘while’ and ‘until’ are used to connect the two parts of the sentence.
Remember that the past simple expresses an action which has been completed, whereas, the past continuous expresses an action which has not yet been completed.
Examples are jumbled and not intended to follow a particular pattern.
Here we go!
- What was Jack doing when the telephone rang?
- .Jack was reading a book when the telephone rang.
- When the phone rang, Jack was reading a book.
- What happened when the match finished?
- What were you doing yesterday when I called you?
- I was watching television when you called me.
- I was walking across the road when I saw an accident between two cars.
- I saw an accident between two cars while I was walking across the road.
- Simon fell asleep while he was reading a book.
- While he was reading a book, Simon fell asleep.
- We were sitting in the garden when it started to rain
- We were sitting in the garden when I looked up and saw a flying saucer.
- It was raining when we went out.
- When we went out, it was blowing a gale force wind.
- The postman delivered the mail while I was eating breakfast.
- While I was eating breakfast, the postman delivered the mail.
- Tom was driving the car fast when the accident happened.
- I was going to meet you until I got your message.
- I was feeling unwell when I woke up this morning.
- When I woke up this morning, I was feeling ‘on top of the world’.
- I wasn’t going to tell you the good news until I arrived home from work.
- Until I arrived home from school, I wasn’t going to tell you the good news.
- I was chewing gum when I bit my lip.
- I bit my lip when I was chewing gum.
- I hurt my leg when I was playing football
- I hurt my leg while playing football.
- While walking home from school, I stopped at the sweet shop to buy candy.
- I was always being naughty when I was a child.
- When I was a child, I was always getting into trouble
- When I was a child, I always got into trouble
- The plane was just taking off when a bird flew across its path
- I was swimming in the ocean when I saw a big fish
- I saw a big fish in the sea while swimming.
- It was raining when I left the house
- I was thinking about you when you came by
- The police officer was arresting the thief when I walked past.
- My Mother was shouting at me as I got dressed.
- My friend was singing while I listened.
Enjoy the English lesson!