This English lesson focuses on the correct use and spelling of
THERE THE THEIR THEY THEY’RE
THEY : Personal pronoun for more than one person (The people are here)
THE: The definite article
THEY’RE : Contraction of THEY and ARE (They’re here)
THERE: Refers to a place person or thing (There is a train coming)
THERE’S: Contraction of THERE and IS (There’s a train coming)
THEIR: Possessive pronoun (Their journey was long) (journey of them
THEIRS: Possessive pronoun meaning possession (It’s theirs) (belonging to them)
Here are some examples where the words are used incorrectly and then correctly.
- INCORRECT: They happy
CORRECT: They’re happy (they are happy)
- INCORRECT: There leaving in an hour
CORRECT: They’re leaving in an hour
- INCORRECT: There no message for you
CORRECT: There’s no message for you
- INCORRECT: Theirs no place like home
CORRECT: There’s no place like home
- INCORRECT: The boat is over they’re
CORRECT: The boat is over there
- INCORRECT: There trip to Bogor was great
CORRECT: Their trip to Bogor was great
- INCORRECT: Their mine. They not there’s
CORRECT: They’re mine. They’re not theirs.
- INCORRECT: They’re was a long wait
CORRECT: There was a long wait
- INCORRECT: Is it true they they’re cousins?
CORRECT: Is it true they’re their cousins (or they are)
- INCORRECT: There place was there last hope
CORRECT: Their place was their last hope
- INCORRECT: They black and white
CORRECT: They’re black and white (they are)
- INCORRECT: There were glad to find it
CORRECT: They were glad to find it
- INCORRECT: They’re you are!
CORRECT: There you are!
- INCORRECT: Theirs a mistake, isn’t they’re?
CORRECT: There’s a mistake, isn’t there?
- INCORRECT: There two apples
CORRECT: There are two apples