This is a lesson about NOUNS in the English language.
Please go and read the Lesson Plan for NOUNS before doing this lesson.
The subject is Manchester United.
1. Manchester United are a popular football team from England.
2. They play at the Old Trafford Stadium.
3. The stadium is often called ‘the Theatre of Dreams’.
4. Their nickname is ‘The Red Devils’
5. Their best player is Wayne Rooney.
6. Jose Mourinho replaced Louis van Gaal as manager in July 2016.
7. The colour of their strip is red and white.
8. They have been English champions twenty times.
9. They first won the European cup in 1968 (Nineteen Sixty Eight).
10. It all started more than a hundred years ago
Common spelling mistakes in writing this text are:
Be or being instead of Been
Confused with ‘the’ ‘they’ ‘their’ ‘they’re’ and ‘there’
‘One and ‘Won’
‘Cold’ and ‘’Called’
Confused with ‘It’ ‘Its’ and ‘It’s’
Using ‘the’ and ‘a’ correctly
‘Strip’ and ‘Stripe’
Confused with ‘old’ and ‘own’
ALL PROPER NOUNS MUST BEGIN WITH A CAPITAL LETTER.
IMPORTANT WORDS TO LEARN
Popular – a thing person or place which is well liked
Current – it is happening or relevant now
Strip – a word used to describe the clothes worn by a football/sports team
Nickname – a special name given to someone or something derived usually from their original name (Real name is Mariana. Nickname Ana) (Real name Marisa-Louisa. Nickname is ‘Marisa’.
NOUNS IN THE TEXT
Manchester United (proper noun)
Football team (ordinary noun)
OId Trafford Stadium (proper noun)
Stadium (ordinary noun)
Theatre of Dreams (proper noun)
Nickname (ordinary noun)
Player (ordinary noun)
Wayne Rooney (proper noun)
Louis van Gaal (proper noun)
Jose Mourinho (proper noun)
Manager (ordinary noun)
Colour (ordinary noun)
Strip (ordinary noun)
English champions (proper noun)
European Cup (proper noun)
Nineteen Sixty Eight (proper noun)
Years (ordinary noun)